Saturday, January 7, 2012

My first new era ad..


I want to thank my good friend Styles Lewis (www.styleslewis.shutterfly.com) or (About.me/Styles Lewis) for getting me this Ad. It was posted all over Howard Universery. I don't go for urban ads but since it was my first I was just happy to know I was being looked at in another part of the country. So I believe this is my first real Ad. The way I got this gig was one day Styles asked me what I was doing, and I said nothing. She told there was a casting going on for new era and so I went. I remember printing out this picture (below) at a FedEx Kinkos. The Sony Digital Print machine was my favorite machine for printing out pictures around this time. I went there and I was feeling a little shaky until I saw their eyes brighten up with delight. They took a few pics of me and told me to have a good day. A few days later they said I got the part and I will be playing the role of the football jock since I was the biggest. They also said the work will be featured in the Magic Show I believe in Las Vegas or something. I was excited that I was getting paid for it too for that was a first for me as well. I was excited.Though there is one thing about this photo people really dont know.  I didn't sleep for 3 whole days straight when I took it.......... (uptop)

Looking @ it now.. Don't really like this picture..This is the headshot I submitted for the job..


Right before I got to this shoot I was in the process of moving from Astoria to the Bronx. No money to really move anything by car or truck so did it the old fashioned way. I had a bookbag a gymbag, garbage bags and a metrocard. I had to make several trips back and forth from each borough I believe about  9 trips back and forth with no sleep in between. Its surprising when you notice how many  things you are in possesion of when moving. The real issue was that I had a deadline from the old landlord threatining to throw out my belongings two days after the move out date. @ this time I was the second in command bouncer @ Cain Luxe NYC so had to be there at night time. The only sleep I got was the train rides. Of course I would occasionally miss my stop. Everytime I missed my stop I had to wipe the drool off my face and drag my feet to the opposite platform going the right direction.  Needless to say that I was very cranky when I finally got to the shoot. This was my first real proffesional shoot but I just wanted to fall asleep. I was in a really bad mood.......

My friend Styles Lewis (www.styleslewis.shutterfly.com) stopped by and checked in with all of the guys since she staffed all of the models. She told methe crew  noticed that I was not in the best of moods and if it were other photographers they would have sent me home. No body really knew what I had to endure for the last few days but had to be professional. I still took her words seriously and I straightened up after the warning. I recall falling asleep many times in the middle of shooting. After all was said and done, I was happy the shoot was finally over. I was at my friends office JD Stewart(www.isolifeny.com) talking to a friend of his. The guy told me that Tradition and New Era actually parted ways. They don't do business anymore. In that case I'm glad I had a chance to be apart of the project before that happened..........





I fell asleep for about 15 mins on this shot LOL..

1 comment:

  1. Great blog David, I will be reading it. Very interesting life of a model in NYC, very honest writing I must say. A lot of beginners will be able to see the bigger picture of a model's life.

    :)) About moving in NYC. Tell me about it:) I moved 4 times in 5 months, and yea exactly like you, suitcases, trash bags, all kinds of bags and metro card, and missing the stations and going to the other side of platforms.. yao I still remember that, my arms start hurting from all the luggage just thinking of it:)

    Keep writing, we'll be reading!

    Maja

    ReplyDelete